Re: Use of editfile to support templated configuration files

From: Sami J. Mäkinen
Subject: Re: Use of editfile to support templated configuration files
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:05:14 +0200

Eric Sorenson wrote:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 wbmccarty@gmail.com wrote:

Alternatively, I'd like to somehow be able to specify a hierarchy of
host groups, and have cfengine choose the file at the lowest level for
which a  version of the file exists. This would be pretty easily done
using an external module. But, I'd prefer to avoid external modules for
now and I don't see how to manage such a hierarchy concisely using
cfengine scripts.

I wrote up the way I accomplish this just the other day, it does precisely
what you describe without external modules.

     http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Singlecopy_Nirvana

Please let me know if the documentation is confusing or unclear, either
via email or on the 'discussion' link on the wiki page itself.

I have developed an external script framework for customizing
certain files on hosts. I just documented this approach in
the discussion section of your document, here:

http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Talk:Singlecopy_Nirvana

I really appreciate any comments on this.

--
-- sjm
"Pirättäkää. Nakkeletta nuallen rassukoollen peräkoijasta