Re: Keeping up with the distros....

From: Wil Cooley
Subject: Re: Keeping up with the distros....
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:31:07 +0000 (UTC)

On 2005-01-12, Christian Pearce <pearcec@perfectorder.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 10:50, David Douthitt wrote:
>> Is there any way to change misc.c so that new versions of Linux don't
>> require a recompile?  Sounds like a perfect use for something like the
>> "file" and "magic" files.
>>
>> So a cfengine configuration file would spell out what is to be found in
>> /etc/redhat-release - or whatever it is.
>
> Interesting.  We would have to implement our own version of this though
> right?

The idea I had was to implement this in a module, but I discovered that
modules are processed too late in the game to be generally useful.
However, a portable, specially-used shell script would be adequate for
OS/distro/platform detection, I think.`

Wil
--
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley@nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *