Re: ForEachLineIn/ReadArray ??

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: ForEachLineIn/ReadArray ??
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:10:36 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Andy Mace wrote:

Hi All,

As this is my first post to the list, I will do a little Introduction!:
My Name is Andy Mace. I work for a IT consultancy company located in Chiswick,
West London.
My Key Skills involve: PHP, MySQL, Object Pascal, Sleeping, Flirting and
drinking copious amounts of Alcohol.

We are trying to get a cfengine system set-up and have hit a brickwall.

I am trying to read in a file and loop around the lines to read the contents of
the file,
I have been trying to use "ForEachLineIn /path/to/file" but cannot find a way
to get the contents of the line.

I know about ReadArray but can't see how to use it within an editfile section.
Any help would be much appriciated.

1.      Try varying the amount of alcohol until a solution appears :).
2.      While editfiles is a great tool, it can't do everything
3.      Try telling us what you're trying to achieve in terms of what
        edits you want to make, rather than the more specific item you
        gave us (which doesn't have quite enough context).

I've used editfiles som (having written a total of maybe 50-100 lines of editfiles over the years), and I've never needed to read in a file like one does in Perl (et. al.). cfengine often sort of reads things in automatically. For example, I can often do the stuff I want by using a combination of LocateLineMatching, ReplaceLineWith, and CatchAbort (although I've used about 20 of the other editfiles commands too).

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator