Re: Disconnected laptop CFEngine ?

From: Jeremy Mates
Subject: Re: Disconnected laptop CFEngine ?
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:32:01 -0800

* Josh Smith <jbs@cacr.caltech.edu>
> You can also do it in the %post section of a Kickstart install (or the
> analogus section of a Jumpstart install), which is useful if there are
> things you want to do before the system reboots for the first time.

I've seen problems running cfengine from %post under RedHat Enterprise
Linux, probably due to db4 upgrades. cfagent hangs, has to be killed
off manually.

I currently do as little as possible under %post, and among other things
set cfagent to run at startup:

  cat <<EOF > /etc/rc.d/rc.local
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/cfagent --no-splay --define sys_startup &
touch /var/lock/subsys/local
EOF
chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.local

For Mac OS X, I use a StartupItems script written by the CFEngine.pkg. I
am experimenting with "sys_power" and "sys_network" classes on my OS X
laptop, though the current scripts are kluges.

--
Jeremy Mates                     (206) 22 1-4714
Systems Administrator            K 324, Health Sciences Center