Race condition in state/allclasses

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Race condition in state/allclasses
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:33:37 -0600

I've been having mysterious module failures on some of my hosts for a while, and I finally found out the cause.

My modules get their list of defined classes by parsing $(workdir)/state/allclasses. Unfortunately, the contents of that file do not always reflect the actual classes of their parent cfagent process! If the cfagent restarted a cfexecd or cfservd earlier in the run, then the resulting 'cfagent -z' child processes appear to stomp on the allclasses file, causing the module to pick up a very minimalist (and incorrect) set of classes.

Could we have the 'detection' flags that cfexecd and cfservd use suppress updating allclasses? I can't think of any reason why they would be needed, and just slow down those 'quickie' variable-getting runs.

--

Chip Seraphine
Unix Administrator