Re: Feature request: Ability to parse files with a custom parser

From: Knut Auvor Grythe
Subject: Re: Feature request: Ability to parse files with a custom parser
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 04:24:36 +0100

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:37:26PM +1100, Tim Nelson wrote:
>> groups:
>>   all::
>>       # Check if we need to regenerate the file
>>       generate_sshd_config = (
>>       !ChangedBefore(/etc/sshd/sshd_config.m5,/etc/sshd/sshd_config) )
>
>       Why do you need this if you set it on copy, below?  Just a
> double-check?

If I didn't, I'd be screwed if the command failed the first time. The
file would be there, but the job would only be half done.  Of course,
this problem would also be solved by my suggested feature ;-)

>> Checksumming might be a problem. Checksumming the output of the parser
>> would naturally work, but an ignorant solution causing the checking to
>> always fail when a parsecmd is defined would be good enough for me. It
>> probably just depends on how much one wants to put into it.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell why I mentioned this. With these approaches,
one could just turn on checksumming temporarily to regenerate all
necessary files in case of a change of classes. For instance, if a
system goes from testing to production, certain classes change in our
setup, and so the file must be regenerated. Our existing solution would
require some magic "regenerate everything"-class which I omitted in the
example.

>       Of course, you could generate the required cfengine config on the
> server, which does all the copying and everything else :).

Yes, I could probably do that, but I kind of like my job and don't want
to lose it =)

--
Knut Auvor Grythe
ITEA Systemdrift