Re: Step by Step Startup ??

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Step by Step Startup ??
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:20:43 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Dave Thacker wrote:

On Friday 18 February 2005 11:58, David Masterson wrote:
Boy, I am getting rusty in my old age...

Is there a good step by step startup guide for getting CFEngine up and
running?  I note the following issues:

1. The "Getting started" section in the cfengine-Tutorial seems written
from the point that you have CFEngine installed and running and are looking
to better understand what to do next.  I'm looking for more on the steps
after "make install", but before you get cfengine running.

        Assuming you're talking about a master server...

        I would've thought the answer would be:
1.      Get some config files from somewhere
2.      Put it somewhere on your filesystem on your master server
        somewhere, with all the .conf files in /var/cfengine/inputs

        Is this the kind of information you were after?

I have found some helpful info in the book "Automating Unix and Linux
Administration" by Kirk Bauer.  Apress  ISBN 1-59059-212-3.
Chapter 6 does a fair walkthrough of cfengine.   I used it to get my testbed
built.

While we're plugging books, Mark's book has a cfengine section too: "Principles of Network and Systems Administration" (2nd Ed), Mark Burgess.

I'm also working on a package that you can install that will be all the basic cfengine files needed on the cfengine master. That should hopefully help fill the gap a little too.

I'm not sure if either of the above are what you need (since I'm not sure what you need), but I thought I'd at least mention them.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator