Re: Step by Step Startup ??

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Step by Step Startup ??
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:15:07 -0800

Forgive the strange quoting below -- Novell's  Groupwise isn't very flexible.

David Masterson
Symbol Technologies

>>> Tim Nelson <architect@webalive.biz> 02/21/05 05:20PM >>>
        Assuming you're talking about a master server...

        I would've thought the answer would be:
1.      Get some config files from somewhere
2.      Put it somewhere on your filesystem on your master server
        somewhere, with all the .conf files in /var/cfengine/inputs

        Is this the kind of information you were after?
>>> Tim Nelson <architect@webalive.biz> 02/21/05 05:20PM >>>

No.  This assumes (like the documentation) that you have some *working* basic
setup.    I now have that, but the documentation doesn't help you through
problems *after* "make install", but *before* you have a working (even basic)
setup.

>>> Tim Nelson <architect@webalive.biz> 02/21/05 05:20PM >>>
        While we're plugging books, Mark's book has a cfengine section
too: "Principles of Network and Systems Administration" (2nd Ed), Mark
Burgess.

        I'm also working on a package that you can install that will be
all the basic cfengine files needed on the cfengine master.  That should
hopefully help fill the gap a little too.

        I'm not sure if either of the above are what you need (since I'm
not sure what you need), but I thought I'd at least mention them.

        :)
>>> Tim Nelson <architect@webalive.biz> 02/21/05 05:20PM >>>

Thanks for the info.  What I'm thinking of is:

1. Download CFEngine (I had problems finding the download location from
cfengine.org).
2. untar, configure, and make install (this is documented, but could be moved
up to a "Quick Start" section).
3. Do "this" to cause /var/cfengine to be setup (this is missing).
4. Test cfengine with this cfagent.conf (this is missing).
5. Install this basic update.conf/cfservd.conf (sort of documented on
cfengine.org).
6. Experiment.

Basically a fleshed out "Quick Start" section to help people get up and
running.  This is useful to *both* people who've read the documentation (it
gives them a good example) and people who have not.