Re: Feature request: Ability to parse files with a custom parser

From: Mark Burgess
Subject: Re: Feature request: Ability to parse files with a custom parser
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:26:47 +0100

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 17:03 +0100, Knut Auvor Grythe wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 12:25:45PM +1100, Tim Nelson wrote:
> >> What we would like to see, is an option in copy for using a custom parser,
> >> like so:
> >>
> >> copy:
> >>   all::
> >>       /path/to/sshd_config.m4
> >>           dest=/etc/ssh/sshd_config
> >>           parsecmd=/local/admin/bin/m4wrap
> >
> >     Actually, it looks like the "deployment" section of cfperl (Ted
> > Zlatanov's project) does this too.  Have a look in the cfperl manual.
>
> Thanks for the tip, that seems like pretty much what we want. However I
> don't think we would deploy cfperl just to use this feature, the extra
> complexity would pretty much cancel the effect. But I'll keep the
> product in mind if we encounter other problems :-)

I am so sorry to be slow at answering this -- I was going to make a
little example solution for you, but I am really swamped and have not
had time.

I think you could do this with a "method". i.e. import and then
editfiles. That would do the trick. I shall try to find time for this
soon, before this falls over my mailbox horizon again.