Re: Step by Step Startup ??

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Step by Step Startup ??
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:03:39 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, David Masterson wrote:

2. untar, configure, and make install (this is
documented, but could be moved up to a "Quick Start" section).

In many packages, this is described by a generic instruction text.

Oh, there is an INSTALL file in the download (I helped put it there). However, since many people look at the documentation (on the website) before they do the download, I just think this should be easier to find in a "Quick Start" section of the documentation.

In my case, I was using an RPM, so the instructions were different anyway :).

3. Do "this" to cause /var/cfengine to be setup (this is missing).

"this" is configuration, including update.conf and cfagent.conf.

Exactly. I am suggesting a "Quick Start" section in the manual that says "here's an update.conf and cfagent.conf to get going with -- make the following changes".

How about a downloadable package which installs the files for you? That's what I'm working on.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator