Re: Solaris 2.6 cfexecd 2.1.13 problem

From: Adam M. Dunn
Subject: Re: Solaris 2.6 cfexecd 2.1.13 problem
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:22:35 -0600 (CST)

I've been having a very similar problem throughout the last few versions
of cfengine.  I don't know if it's identical to yours, but I've been
getting segfaults non the less with 3.x compilers, and now 2.95 compilers
also on some versions of Solaris.  It's becoming very annoying.

Back when I was using 2.1.11, I couldn't get it to run in daemon mode
without seqfaulting when I compiled using gcc 3.x.  My solution then was
to use 2.95 which solved it.  When I upgraded to 2.1.13, I couldn't even
get it to compile at all on a Solaris 5.8 or above with gcc 3.x.  I get
compile errors.  Gcc 2.95 compiled fine, but it started having that
seqfault problem on some machines too.  However, compiliations I did on
Solaris 2.6 with gcc 2.95 don't seem to have any problems, so I've been
using those binaries on all our versions of Solaris with no problems yet.

Doing work arounds always scares me.  The thing here that bothers me is
when we retire our 2.6 boxes I either have to keep one of these old
machines around just for compiling new versions of cfengine, or I'm out of
luck!

Mark looked at this problem with me once before and we could never
pinpoint it, but I think it's a pretty serious issue that needs
investigating by someone.

~Adam