Re: segmentation fault in InitializeLocks (fwd)

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: segmentation fault in InitializeLocks (fwd)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:37:39 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Lars Damerow wrote:

From Tim Nelson <architect@webalive.biz>, Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:32:57PM +1100:
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Lars Damerow wrote:

        What everyone else seems to do is:
1.      Add something like "cfagent -q -Dkickstart" to /etc/rc.local
2.      Add something to cfengine which removes the above line when the
        "kickstart" class is defined.

        That does have some disadvantages, but it should mostly cover
things.

        :)

True, but some of the changes we make require a reboot after they're made; it's
helpful to do that before the first reboot, so that the machine is ready for
work immediately. When you have 300 machines to kickstart, the extra reboot
time adds up fast. :) Thanks for the response, though!

If you're talking about computer time, it should all be overlapping, and not make so much difference. If you're talking about people time, you could add a "shutdown -r +1" to shellcommands, only activated if the setup class is true. You could even try:
1.      Make a script which essentially does the cfagent command, followed
        by "shutdown -r now".
2.      Run that script from rc.local instead of cfagent

Incidentally, what, other than kernel/iptables upgrades requires a reboot on a Linux box? (or is that what you're doing?)

The statically-built cfengine fixes the problem, though, so it's got to be an
errant library.

        Agreed.

Is there a way to do a static build using configure flags? I didn't see
anything obvious, so I had to run configure as usual and then tweak the
Makefile to add '-static' to CFLAGS and change '-ldb' into '-ldb-4.2'.

        You're asking the wrong guy now :).  I depend on RPM way too much.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator