Re: cfrun: question about the output for unreachable hosts

From: David Douthitt
Subject: Re: cfrun: question about the output for unreachable hosts
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:28:06 -0600

Moritz Bunkus wrote:
Everything is fine. I'm just a bit confused about cfrun's output if a
host is unrechable. Example:

0 root@ls-bs-si2:/home/mbunkus$ cfrun ls-bs-ws3
cfrun(0): .......... [ Hailing ls-bs-ws3.bs.linet-services.de ] ..........
cfrun:ls-bs-si2.bs.linet-services.de: Couldn't open a socket
cfrun:ls-bs-si2.bs.linet-services.de: socket: No route to host

ls-bs-ws3 is indeed down, but why does cfrun use ls-bs-si2... as the
host name in this case? This gets even more confusing when I run cfrun
without any argument and it iterates through all hosts in
cfrun.hosts. For each unreachable host it just prints the two lines
shown above, and I have no clue whatsoever which hosts are actually
down.

The output has already been mostly explained, but I'd like to suggest a change in cfengine's output.

The latter two messages:

> cfrun:ls-bs-si2.bs.linet-services.de: Couldn't open a socket
> cfrun:ls-bs-si2.bs.linet-services.de: socket: No route to host

are quite likely the output of an error message from a system call. Thus, the messages (after ":") are generated by the system.

I would recommend that either they be replaced or supplemented by a message that could be output (in this case) like thus:

cfrun:ls-bs-si2.bs.linet-services.de: Host ls-bs-ws3.bs.linet-services.de seems to be unreachable

Part of the problem seems to stem from putting out low-level error messages without giving the user any high-level explanation for what seems to be happening.

My favorite system example is what happens when you try to add a route and the messages that come back...

--
David Douthitt
UNIX System Administrator