Re: editfile question

From: Sven Mueller
Subject: Re: editfile question
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:49:04 +0100

John Borwick wrote on 25/02/2005 21:37:
Sean Atkinson wrote:
In my experience, for small "stateless" files like /etc/hosts, you can get away with EditFiles statements. For larger files, I would just copy them from your cfengine server.

Other ways are to
a) copy a template from the server,
   edit it to replace variables,
   copy to final destination.
   The last copy is only needed if you either
   - need the file to always be consistent or
   - need to take some action _only_ if the file actually changed.
or
b) copy some individual files from the server,
   concatenate them

Copying the configuration files from a server also forces you to standardize on one (or a few) configurations, which IMHO is really helpful.

Right. But that should be a side effect of using cfengine anyhow.

cu,
sven