Re: editfile question

From: Sean Atkinson
Subject: Re: editfile question
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:22:43 +0100

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 11:49 +0100, Sven Mueller wrote:
> John Borwick wrote on 25/02/2005 21:37:
> > Sean Atkinson wrote:
> > In my experience, for small "stateless" files like /etc/hosts, you can
> > get away with EditFiles statements.  For larger files, I would just copy
> > them from your cfengine server.
>
> Other ways are to
> a) copy a template from the server,
>     edit it to replace variables,
>     copy to final destination.
>     The last copy is only needed if you either
>     - need the file to always be consistent or
>     - need to take some action _only_ if the file actually changed.
> or
> b) copy some individual files from the server,
>     concatenate them
>
> > Copying the configuration files from a server also forces you to
> > standardize on one (or a few) configurations, which IMHO is really helpful.
>
> Right. But that should be a side effect of using cfengine anyhow.

Thanks for your responses.  However I'm still not sure these techniques
support how we need to modify the XF86Config file.  The problem is that
we'd like to take advantage of the installer's automatic configuration,
which is customised to suit the local display hardware.

Perhaps patching the configuration with a unified diff would allow my
VNC additions to a basic file layout without conflicting with the
installer's customisations.  Then maybe cfengine could be responsible
for distributing and maintaining this patch.  However it all seems a bit
of a hack and too unreliable for cfengine's purposes really.

Would I be best off putting something together myself for this scenario?

Cheers,

Sean.

--
Sean Atkinson <sean@netproject.com>