RE: Ways to manage passwd/shadow files?

From: Atom Powers
Subject: RE: Ways to manage passwd/shadow files?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:24:00 -0800

I think anybody in their right mind would use LDAP or similar for user auth
on more than a few systems. But there are good reasons to have local auth as
well.
For me this includes a non-root logon in case LDAP isn't working, I would
like to be able to change the password in one place and have it propagate to
every system. I need to change all passwords every three months or so,
cfengine seems to be the right tool to simplify this task. It would also be
nice to be have my /sbin/nologin accounts the same on all systems, in case
they need to pass data to each other.
A sequence of 'pw' commands would most likely end up harder to maintain than
manually changing the passwords.

----
Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.

Atom Powers
Systems Administrator
Pyramid Breweries Inc.
206.682.8322 x251