Re: SUMMARY: Too many cfagents running. Was: Load problem with cfserv d

From: Mark Burgess
Subject: Re: SUMMARY: Too many cfagents running. Was: Load problem with cfserv d
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:26:12 +0100

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 09:11 -0500, Baker, Darryl wrote:

> Finally got all the problems fix. First I installed the latest snap
> shot and the load dropped. We had some scripts using ssh that were
> setting up X window tunnels for no reason. We fixed those scripts and
> the load dropped. I switched the configuration to "schedule = (
> Min00_05 Min30_35 )" but left the rules saying Q1 and Q3. Nothing
> changed. Then I had an inspiration and removed /var/cfengine/*db. The
> load and the contention for the mutex dropped like a rock. Why?
>
> We believe that the main problem was that the kernel mutex we were
> spinning on is part of /dev/random and that between all the ssh
> clients this machine spawns and the cfengine connections that it was
> just now being able to generate enough randomness and was blocking.
> Then why would removing those files improve things

This is almost certainly an internal roblem in berkeley DB, probably
caused by having mixed versions or upgrades on your system. Sleepycat
change internals quite often and that causes problems in compatability.

That is why deleting the file with incorrect format will cure the
problem. It will then not be incompatible.