Re: Patches vs. Packages

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: Patches vs. Packages
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:07:06 -0600

I started out with that approach on our Suns, but quickly abandoned it. I think that, generally speaking, it really depends on the patch/package management scheme. I now have two different scripts for doing this sort of thing, although both are managed by cfagent.

Part of the issue was that figuring out dependencies for Solaris patches is extremely different than doing the same for packages. Another part of it was practical considerations, such as reboot requirements.

Tim Nelson wrote:

Hi all. My system doesn't have to deal with patches (being a Linux system and all), but I was wondering if it would be effective to treat patches as a type of package.

Common features (guessing here):
-    Install, Upgrade, Remove, and Checkversion are the main actions
-    Both have dependencies
-

Would it be reasonable to treat patches as a case of packages? Can I have some input from someone who knows about patches? (Chip? :) ).

    :)

--

Chip Seraphine
Unix Administrator

"Suits are what you wear when doing things you shouldn't want to do anyway." -Fred Reed