Debian package management with cfengine

From: Moritz Bunkus
Subject: Debian package management with cfengine
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:33:20 +0100

Hey,

I'd like to ask you guys with some more experience how you're handling
the Debian package management. At the moment I have a solution that
works at least partially, but I think it could be better somehow ;)

In my cfagent.conf and its include files I have set up stuff like this:

control:
   any::
      DefaultPkgMgr   = ( dpkg )
      actionsequence  = ( packages directories files copy editfiles
                          shellcommands tidy processes )

      installpackage  = ( "$(workdir)/inputs/packages/install-package" )

packages:
   any::
      joe
         version=3.1 cmp=lt
         define=pkg_install_joe,aptget_update

shellcommands:
   aptget_update::
      "/usr/bin/apt-get update"

   pkg_install_joe::
      "$(installpackage) joe"

The idea in this case is that if the editor 'joe' is not installed or
too old then first apt-get should update its list of packages and then
that package will be installed.

The install-package script looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
/usr/bin/yes '' | /usr/bin/apt-get install -y "$@"

as in "install that package with its default options". This did work
rather well with joe, but I ran into some problems with another package
and its config files. Therefore I'd like some input on how you are doing
package management.

Thanks :)

Moritz

--
LINET Services GbR

Gotenweg 15                      Tel.: 0531-280 191 71
38106 Braunschweig               Fax.: 0531-280 191 72

http://www.linet-services.de
info@linet-services.de