Re: version control

From: Chris Kacoroski
Subject: Re: version control
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:33:05 -0800

Jeff Sheltren wrote:

We use subversion.  All edits are done in a personal checkout, and then
committed back to the subversion repository.  The server (cfservd) reads its
files out of a directory which is nothing more than another checkout from
the subversion repository.  This makes rollbacks easy since you can just cd
into the cfservd directory and do a checkout of any working version you
like.  This is where subversion's repository-wide versioning numbers are
much nicer than CVS's per-file versions since it is easy to refer to a
working 'snapshot'.

-Jeff

We do the same thing. We structure the repository to make sense from the human standpoint (e.g. by service) and let cfengine figure out where to place the files on each client. For example, I have directories in the repository for BackupPC, ssh, dhcp, ntp. In each of these directories I have files and subdirectories as needed to organize the files for that service. Then in the cfengine directory I have a <service>.cf file for each service that is imported into the cfengine (e.g dhcp.cf, BackupPC.cf, etc.). This file contains all the configuration information about the service (e.g what files to copy where on which platform, what services to start/restart, etc.). In this way it is easy for me to modify/add a service.

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
  connected to the entire universe"                John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ckacoroski@nsd.org, 425-489-6263