masterfiles vs. inputs and CVS

From: Robert Helmer
Subject: masterfiles vs. inputs and CVS
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:16:30 -0800

Hello,

Just starting out with cfengine, seems like just what I need so far.

I have noticed that in many of the tutorials I have come across, there
are seperate "masterfiles" and "inputs" (usually /var/cfengine/inputs)
directories.. masterfiles for config files that are to be distributed
out to clients, and the regular inputs for the policy server.

I don't see the need to have seperate configs on the policy server
and all the other servers. What I have done so far is to set up
the basic update.conf, cfservd.conf and a cfagent.conf that simply
does imports of my actual scripts; all of these files are checked
into a CVS module. cfengine does an export of this CVS module
every time it runs, and copies the files to masterfiles/inputs/
and /var/cfengine/inputs (/var/cfengine/inputs does not stay
world-readable, otherwise I'd just use that one location for all).

Am I missing something fundamental here ? :)

Thanks,
Rob Helmer