Re: masterfiles vs. inputs and CVS

From: Zeev Fisher
Subject: Re: masterfiles vs. inputs and CVS
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:33:56 +0200

Hi,

/var/cfengine/inputs is the configuration directory. update.conf should
check if newer files exist on the cf server and if yes , update the
local copy. You should maintain only one copy - the remote copy. There's
local copy in order to protect you in case of network failure/other
failure to fetch the remote config files.

masterfiles usually refer to the files you copy ( not related to
cfengine ) with cfengine. Also with this one , you should keep only one
copy.

Zeev

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 11:16, Robert Helmer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just starting out with cfengine, seems like just what I need so far.
>
> I have noticed that in many of the tutorials I have come across, there
> are seperate "masterfiles" and "inputs" (usually /var/cfengine/inputs)
> directories.. masterfiles for config files that are to be distributed
> out to clients, and the regular inputs for the policy server.
>
> I don't see the need to have seperate configs on the policy server
> and all the other servers. What I have done so far is to set up
> the basic update.conf, cfservd.conf and a cfagent.conf that simply
> does imports of my actual scripts; all of these files are checked
> into a CVS module. cfengine does an export of this CVS module
> every time it runs, and copies the files to masterfiles/inputs/
> and /var/cfengine/inputs (/var/cfengine/inputs does not stay
> world-readable, otherwise I'd just use that one location for all).
>
> Am I missing something fundamental here ? :)
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Helmer

Zeev Fisher - Unix System Administrator
Marvell Semiconductor Israel Ltd
6 Hamada Street, Mordot HaCarmel Industrial Park
Yokneam 20692
Israel

Email    -  zeevf@marvell.com
Tel      -  + 972 4 9091402
Cell     -  + 972 54 4995402
Fax      -  + 972 4 9091501
WWW Page:     http://www.marvell.com
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged
information. The information is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
immediately by telephone, or by e-mail and delete the message from your
computer.