cfengine as a package distributor?

From: Phoenix
Subject: cfengine as a package distributor?
Date: 29 Mar 2005 04:00:16 -0800

I am wondering how cfengine could be used to make custom software
packages? Does anyone have experience with it?
As it is now, we have mainly solaris servers but still a rather mixed
environment (Linux/AIX...etc) with a "homemade", rather old way of
distributing software packages. It works via "push" so to speak, so I
am looking for alternative ideas and when I saw cfengine I thought that
it might be used to do just this (and have the clients "pull" what they
need from a central package server).
But I have no clue how to "think" (cfengine-wise)...i.e. How many
cf-files should I have?, what types?,what classes? HOW should I make
just ONE server have a special package, etc.

So...any help appriciated :)