Re: cfengine as a package distributor? (fwd)

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: cfengine as a package distributor? (fwd)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:36:55 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Christian Pearce wrote:

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 04:00 -0800, Phoenix wrote:
I am wondering how cfengine could be used to make custom software
packages? Does anyone have experience with it?

I suppose you could automate making of custome packages.  But I think
you mean distribute.

Assuming that he means make, cfengine probably isn't a complete solution; make a package using something else (eg. RPM), and have cfengine kick off a build from the latest sources or whatever.

As it is now, we have mainly solaris servers but still a rather mixed
environment (Linux/AIX...etc) with a "homemade", rather old way of
distributing software packages. It works via "push" so to speak, so I
am looking for alternative ideas and when I saw cfengine I thought that
it might be used to do just this (and have the clients "pull" what they
need from a central package server).
But I have no clue how to "think" (cfengine-wise)...i.e. How many
cf-files should I have?, what types?,what classes? HOW should I make
just ONE server have a special package, etc.

There are a variety of approaches. One starting cfengine setup is available from the Arpmats project (http://arpmats.sourceforge.net/ and look for cfengine-masterconf) [Disclaimer: I'm the lead developer of Arpmats].

Here is a link to a paper read back in 2000.  These guys describe what
they did.

http://astro.uchicago.edu/~davidr/cfengine-tools/lisa-paper_html/

A little dated at this point, but it might help you gain a better
understanding.

A great paper, and the basis for Arpmats (see link above). Arpmats may be just what the man wants here, but to do what he wants, he'd either have to package everything with RPM as the paper describes, or write support for other package formats.

Sounds like you need to take some time to learnCcfengine and understand
what it can do for you.  It is different from traditional shell
scripting.  Take a look at cfegnine.org and cfwiki.org, read over all
the documentation.  Download cfengine and start taking examples and work
with it.  You need to know whether or not this is a viable solution
before you just try to do package management with Cfengine.

Exactly. I'd say cfengine+arpmats is great with a coherent package management strategy. cfengine (or another configuration management tool) is also worth installing for anyone managing more than 5 unix boxen (irrespective of their package management strategy).

If he's wanting to continue with a less coherent package management strategy, the way I'd approach it is to set classes in one file, and have another packages file generated from a perl template (a la cfengine-masterconf-pt) which installs whichever packages he wants.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator