Re: Client never attempts to contact server

From: Frank Smith
Subject: Re: Client never attempts to contact server
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:16:45 -0600

--On Thursday, March 31, 2005 17:23:38 -0500 Linda White
<linda.white@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I run the cfagent command on the cfengine client, the client
> never attempts to connect to the server. I have installed tethereal on
> the server, and there is no traffic generated when the cfagent command
> is executed.

Have tried looking for packets on the client? Pehaps they're
not going where you think they are.  Also make sure you fixed
ALL occurences of 'mydomain.com' in cfservd.conf, update.conf,
and cfagent.conf.

>The output of cfagent -v does not produce any errors, but
> the update does not take place.

How long did you wait?  Normally it sleeps up to 'splaytime'
minutes before it actually runs (so that all your clients don't
bang on the server at the same time).  For testing, try running
cfagent -v -q
which will cause it to execute immediately as well as show
what it's doing.

If that reveals nothing, and you're feeling adventurous, try
running that using strace -f.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith@hoovers.com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673