Re: Glob hard class names?

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Glob hard class names?
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:03:11 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Atom Powers wrote:

Is it possible to glob hard class names?
For instance I currently have:
--
Groups:
        freebsd_4       = ( freebsd_4_11_STABLE freebsd_4_10_STABLE

But I'm still missing a lot of systems. "freebsd_5_4_PRERELEASE", for
example, won't match either group. Can I do something like:

--
Groups:
        freebsd_4       = ( freebsd_4_* )

Or is there another way to easily define a group for these hard classes? (And
still catch "freebsd_5_4_STABLE" when it is released.)

In this particular instance, I thought I might mention a project I'm working on which tries to use a configuration file to recognise Linux distros. Hopefully with a little extension, and some changes to the config file, it could recognise FreeBSD versions too. As a preliminary, the output looks like:

Set ReleaseFile to '/etc/redhat-release'
Set Distribution to 'RedHat'
Set ReleaseFlag to 'release '
Set MajorVersion to '2'
Set CodeVersion to 'Tettnang'
Set Vendor to 'Fedora'

I'm hoping to transform it into a "Distribution=Redhat" format. I'm also hoping to integrate it into the libmetrics project (libmetrics.sourceforge.net). Hopefully such a library could be relied upon by cfengine to resolve these kinds of problems. But I've been distracted from working on it for the last week, and may be for the next week or two as well.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator