Re: Local groups

From: David E. Nelson
Subject: Re: Local groups
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:51:10 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the response. I would like to avoid adding groups to hosts that don't use/need them if at all possible.

Regards,
         /\/elson

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, david.nelson@ni.com wrote:

We've got some boxes that define local groups in /etc/groups.  We also scan
various filesystems to make sure all files are properly owned.  The problem is
when a system that does not have one of the local groups defined, cfengine
reports 'Unknown group: ....'

Is there any way to avoid this notice w/o having to update all systems'
/etc/groups w/ unneccesary groups?

You can add the custom groups with groupadd on the specific machines
you need, and check for their existence so you don't run groupadd
twice.

cfperl (http://lifelogs.com/cfperl) does this automatically, for
groups and users both.

Ted

--
~~ ** ~~  If you didn't learn anything when you broke it the 1st ~~ ** ~~
                        time, then break it again.