Re: Cfengine questionnaire

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Cfengine questionnaire
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:36:53 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Christopher Browne wrote:

Quoth Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no:
I would appreciate it if you would spend the time to answer the
questions as well as you can. The information will help me to improve
cfengine in the coming years.

I can tell you up front what I'd most like to see...

I'd most like to see a way of doing some sort of "setvariable" scheme
analagous to editfiles for manipulating things that are
"parameterized."

I think everyone agrees that editfiles needs changes (and I think most agree that it is the thing in greatest need of change). Mark is surely aware of the Wishlist (see links below) which contains a lot of desired changes, and also the Editfiles Considered Harmful page (also below). I think that your idea, the Editfiles Considered Harmful idea, my idea (see mailing list link below, especially Holger's responses) and some of the other ideas floating around are all great, but I'd like to see us hash it all out on the mailing list sometime, and try to achieve the full functionality of all of them. However, this requires Mark's invlovement, and he has to date been unwilling to spend the time discussing cfengine version 3+ functions. I'm hoping that sometime after the questionnaire he'll give us a chance to discuss things with him.

http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Wishlist
http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Talk:Editfiles_Considered_Harmful
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-cfengine/2004-01/msg00086.html

Anyway, my guess is that, since he already has a great list of what everyone wants, he's attempting to get some feel for what everyone's top priorities are. Other than a better editfiles, I couldn't point at anything that I think everyone wants, although I'd be guessing that improved packaging support would be popular (I'm working on it myself :) ).

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator

"Your Business, Your Web, Your Control"