Re: Many-to-one copy

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: Many-to-one copy
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:44:38 -0500

I have a directory (/var/cfengine/hostlib) on every machine where I
simply copy all the Stuff that I want to go up to the server, and then
the server iterates thru a list of clients (via dynamically generated
cf.hostlibs file) and pulls it.

It's a suboptimal apporach and has a lot of problems (performance and
reliability), and if I was starting over again I would go a different
route, such as having the clients use scp to push the files up, some
creative rsyncing, a network file system (where possible), etc.

Alexander Jolk wrote:

Hi,

I'm copying my SSH host keys from all client machines to the server, in
order to generate a global known_hosts file on the server and
redistribute it to everybody.  This worked quite nicely so far, but now
I'm running into heavy scaling problems---there's almost always one
machine blocking the server, which means the server has many cfagent
processes running, and connections get refused.

Does anybody have an idea how to better organize things?  I had already
used `ifelapsed=1440' in order to try to contact every client machine
only once a day, but cfengine would establish the connection anyway.

What I'd like most would be to use something like SelectPartitionGroup
in order to copy keys from a few hosts, then copy from those Leaders to
a master host.  But there doesn't seem to be more than one layer to the
concept of partitions, and moreover there is no apparent way to get a
list of all partition leaders.  Any ideas on this?

I believe that if I had a function `ListPartitionLeaders', I should be
able at least to implement a two-tier solution.  (Each PartitionLeader
copies the relevant file from its list SelectPartitionGroup, and the
cfengine server copies the collection of files from the list of
partition leaders.)  Am I missing something?

Alex