TextSQL?

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: TextSQL?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:14:44 +1000 (EST)

Mark, I've had an idea for the "editfiles" thing. What would you think of an editfiles that works like SQL for text files? There'd be more actions than just INSERT, UPDATE, and SELECT, so I'd suggest putting the actions last, but you could do (on /etc/xinetd.d/amanda):

-------------------------------------
WHERE
        CurrentBlock = "service amanda"
        AND Field(0) = "disable"
DO
        Field(1) = yes
-------------------------------------

I'd envisage this being a separate language to cfengine, but also having a way to embed it in the cfengine code as suggested by the "Action Templating" section of Templating ideas:
http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Templating_Ideas
The above would also mean that editfiles and cfengine could develop independently, using one job per tool, as per the Unix philosophy.

The above would be pretty convergent, I'd hope. Obviously not until cfengine 3.0, though :). Yes, there are problems with the above approach, but I think it would help us to think convergently about things.

        What do you think?

        :)

--
Tim Nelson