Re: logwatch scripts for cfengine

From: Adams, Russell L.
Subject: Re: logwatch scripts for cfengine
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 15:20:03 -0500

Off topic I guess... But log administration is important! ;]

I use a centralized syslog server running syslog-ng, for some twenty
odd hosts. The logs end up in a directory tree, similar to
/var/log/HOSTS/$HOST/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$LOGLEVEL_YYMMDD. This makes
rotation and cleanup a breeze.

We parse the logs with LogMuncher for email/paging of content by host
every five minutes. LogMuncher understands the directory tree just
fine. Works alot like LogSentry (or LogCheck as it used to be
called). You have include/exclude tables for messages, and then
default to notifying on any remaining messages that weren't handled.

I make cfengine syslog various messages after completing certain
actions, and including some manual calls to the logger shellcommand
for me to pickup in the LogMuncher reports.

I'm looking at feeding some of that data into Nagios so that I can
have a warning when its been X days since action Y reported in.

Russell