RE: SingleCopy Nirvana - stat warnings

From: Eric Sorenson
Subject: RE: SingleCopy Nirvana - stat warnings
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 16:27:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Luke Youngblood wrote:

> Excellent, thanks for your help.  I was wondering one other thing:
>
> What is the benefit of launching cfagent from cfexecd using cron?  The
> reason I ask is that I think it might be much easier to execute cfagent
> directly from a shell script, and then mail the output to myself.  I could
> strip out the stat messages inside my shell script, rather than modifying
> the source code.

You could certainly do that, but this is the sort of thing that tends to:
a) break in difficult-to-find ways (like if the program output changes)
b) baffle the next sysadmin who comes along to maintain it

> This would allow me to use the same Blastwave packages that I've been using,
> without rebuilding from code every time there is a cfengine update.
>
> Could someone tell me what the advantages or disadvantages of doing this
> might be?

There are probably some subtleties, but roughly speaking the biggest
wins from cfexecd come if you're running it in persistent/daemonized
mode with a 'control: schedule =  ( [time classes] )'

--
 - Eric Sorenson - N37 17.255 W121 55.738 - http://eric.explosive.net -
 - Personal colo with a professional touch - http://www.explosive.net -