Re: copy copies files that were not changed once in a while - feature??

From: Frank Ranner
Subject: Re: copy copies files that were not changed once in a while - feature??
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 21:51:44 +1000

Dmitry Sazonov wrote:
copy:
/cfengine/config/cfengine/files/cfengine.startup dest=/etc/init.d/cfengine mode=755 server=inet640

The source have not changed for a while.
type=checksum comparison seems to fixed the same issue for other files I copy, but I don't want to start checksumming everything. modification time should work just fine in most cases.
Note -  it's even copies the file on the same host!
Also note - that happens for all hosts in the same time - ie all solarises today at 9:30 reported that copy.
Why copy again?

Thanks in advance for any reasonable explanation!

If you do not specify mtime it uses ctime. In my case, ctime was being
changed by a backup process, which was trying to preserve atime. After
backing up each file, the backup process would set atime back to the original value, but that would set ctime to the current TOD. I think
there is a variable you can set to specify the default copy type, or
you can explicitly specify mtime on each copy stanza.

regards,
Frank Ranner