SetState suggestion (was Re: Ordering and cfengine 3)

From: Alexander Jolk
Subject: SetState suggestion (was Re: Ordering and cfengine 3)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:49:58 +0200

This has just a passing connection to the ordering problem, but I thought of a simple but useful extension of the SetState semantics:

   SetState("preserved_class",10,Preserve)
   SetState(non_preserved_class,60,Reset)
   UnsetState(myclass)

Could we have states that preserved a numerical or textual value as well? Something like
        SetState("preserved_value",10,Value,"5")
        SetState("preserved_value",10,Value,"$(preserved_value)+4")
so that later on, one can do
        do_action = ( GreaterThan($(preserved_value),10) )
and of course clear the value once the corrective action has been done.

This would be useful for fuzzy-logic type actions; I thought of it in the context of copying a large directory tree: I run the copy anyway once a day, but if one or more crucial files were missing, I would run it earlier, depending on the number of missing files.

Does that strike anyone as useful?

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29