Re: Newbie help with how to implement update and cfagent.conffiles

From: Ed Brown
Subject: Re: Newbie help with how to implement update and cfagent.conffiles
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:00:39 -0600

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 08:01, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

> Does it normally take 2-3 days for e-mail to show up on the list?

I've always seen delays, but lately it's worse, possibly because of the
german spam epidemic.

> update.conf - distributed by the policy master.  Initially copied
> to a client machine manually.  This file should only be sent out
> when there is an absolute need to update the basic distribution
> configuration.

Usually gets copied along with everything in else in inputs/, but
doesn't get _changed_ very often.  (If the syntax is bad here, it means
manually copying again, or however you do your initial bootstrapping.)

> cfagent.conf - does all the necessary checking and associated
> configurations modifications as needed

Yes.  Later, if things get more complicated, you can break things out
into other files for organizational reasons.

> cfservd.conf - Used only for the policy master.  But, I've seen
> references in the archives to people running the sfservd
> process on servers that are not policy masters.  I have no
> need to run more than one policy master at this point, so
> do I need to run cfservd on a cfclient-only machine?

Not at all.

But this file on the policymaster could have much to do with a client
not being able to copy from the server.  If you are still not getting
cfagent.conf to the client, be sure to post your cfservd.conf.

> Another question I have is when is it appropriate to run cfagent
> in daemon mode vs. crontab?

Personal choice, though there's bound to be some religious fervor over
what's best.

-Ed