Re: Newbie help with how to implement update andcfagent.conffiles

From: PAUL WILLIAMSON
Subject: Re: Newbie help with how to implement update andcfagent.conffiles
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:59:27 -0400

>>> "Eric Sorenson" <eric@explosive.net> 05/18/05 5:27 PM >>>
> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Ed Brown wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 08:01, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
>
> > > cfservd.conf - Used only for the policy master.  But, I've
> > > seen references in the archives to people running the
> > > cfservd process on servers that are not policy masters.
> > > I have no need to run more than one policy master at
> > > this point, so do I need to run cfservd on a cfclient-only
> > > machine?
> >
> > Not at all.
> >
> > But this file on the policymaster could have much to do with
> > a client not being able to copy from the server.  If you are
> > still not getting cfagent.conf to the client, be sure to post
> > your cfservd.conf.
>
> You would need to run cfservd on client machines if you wanted
> to use 'cfrun' to trigger execution on them.

Agreed.  Although I think I've figured out at least part of my
problem.  I started cfservd on the policy master (and figured
it had started), but in doing a ps -ef | grep cf on that machine,
I get no results.  Scrubbing the cfservd.conf file, I figured
out that my AllowConnectionsFrom had no closing parenthesis,
but there was no idication given that there was a problem
when I started the cfservd process.

Is there a bug database someplace to suggest an config
checker for cfservd to guard against my own stupidity?

Ugh, everything seems to be working fine now...

Total newbieness to a project is really quite interesting.
I've got a lot of learnin' to do...

Paul