RE: ChecksumDatabase more details wanted, /dev/random draining

From: Mark McCullough
Subject: RE: ChecksumDatabase more details wanted, /dev/random draining
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 14:08:42 -0500

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 11:24 -0700, Eric Sorenson wrote:

> You can use PRNG or EGD as a randomness source, so you don't block on
> generating new entropy. /dev/urandom is a nice workaround but there
> isn't such thing on solaris afaik
>
> http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc8.html#egd
> http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc8.html#prngd

In Solaris 8, see patch#111659 for a kernel /dev/random and /dev/urandom

For Solaris 9, I believe it was preinstalled, my Solaris 9 box has it
installed, so I know it is around.

Older versions of Solaris can look at ANDIrand, a similar package.

--
mmccul@earthlink.net                                   Mark McCullough
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that