Re: server iteration

From: Tod Oace
Subject: Re: server iteration
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:18:26 -0700

On May 20, 2005, at 02:10, Alexander Jolk wrote:

Does anyone use the server= iteration? I'm not seeing how it would be used the way it currently works. Changing it to stop at the first successful server seems much more useful to me.

I'm not using it, but have you thought of combining this with SingleCopy? That might just do what you need.

An interesting idea, but I would still have to double my quantity of copy statements, yes? One set for the primary server and a second for the alternate. Or am I misunderstanding?

As an aside, I'm actually choosing one server out of a pool of three using a strategy. That gives me load balancing and failover, but only on a longer timescale.

I hadn't really looked at strategies: before. That doesn't seem like what I want for failover as I want machines to try their closest server first, but I may find some other use. Thanks!

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29

--
Tod Oace, Intel Corporation <tod@intel.com>