Memory Utilization

From: Brian E. Seppanen
Subject: Memory Utilization
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:38:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Folks:

I have a bunch of linux boxes running 2.1.13 that seem to have issues with running cfservd and consuming large amounts of memory.

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
  867 root       9   0  383m 102m 1856 S  0.0 11.6   6:52.21 cfservd
  979 root       8   0  383m 102m 1856 S  0.0 11.6   0:10.73 cfservd

This host has a large number of files that it is a master fileserver for and for a large number of hosts. How do I tune memory utilization with cfservd.

I'm running approximately 100 Hosts with cfengine, so I've got a smaller set up from what many others have out there. Is this something that others have found a way of dealing with? Does any one have any general suggestions on how to keep memory utilization to a minimum? I can provide further details but I'm not sure how much is needed.

The hosts are a variety of redhat linux 7.3 hosts running a variety of kernels, to new build debian 3.1 boxes with kernel 2.4.29. Some servers had only one file copied once per day. The server for the statistics above is providing a far larger number of files.

Any suggestions.   Thanks for your time.

Brian Seppanen
seppy@chartermi.net
608.826.1464