Re: server iteration

From: Tod Oace
Subject: Re: server iteration
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 15:54:29 -0700

On May 24, 2005, at 21:01, Tim Nelson wrote:

An interesting idea, but I would still have to double my quantity of copy statements, yes? One set for the primary server and a second for the alternate. Or am I misunderstanding?

    That's why we need Templating in the next version of cfengine:
http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Templating_Ideas

Warning; the above documents a number of different templating ideas.

Soooo... This seems like it could be a useful short-cut for defining copy attributes, but I'm not seeing how it would handle failover. The way copy works today I have to define a second copy action for each copy triggered by a failover= class. Would copy templates do all that? And define AddInstallable if that's still needed?

It still seems useful even if it doesn't address my failover problem, although I think I would be equally happy with a DefaultServer global variable. I specify "server=${server}" for all but a couple of my copy statements. And I really don't mind making owner=, group= and mode= very explicit with each file/directory.

Oh, I think template= is more Cfengine-like than use_template=.
Like filter=.

Naturally, I like the Action Templating one, as that's my idea :).

This seems...tricky. But potentially very powerful.
So I'll add one other idea to the pile.

What if you could embed Cfengine class rules and variables in the source file being copied? This seems very Cfengine-like. Describe what you want and Cfengine takes care of the rest. (It would still need to address the checksum problem.)

I still want server=server1:server2 and SingleServer by the way.  :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator

"Your Business, Your Web, Your Control"