Copy to multiple destinations

From: Martin, Jason H
Subject: Copy to multiple destinations
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:34:32 -0700

Is there any way to have a file copied to a variable number of destinations?  I'm looking for a way to keep a set of Oracle installations in sync.  Since the boxes are clustered, there is a set of hosts which may have 0 or more oracle installations in seperate directories under /some/path.  Each directory has a file network/admin/tnsnames.ora. There is supposed to be just one master copy of tnsnames.ora, so I'd like Cfengine to copy the gold tnsnames.ora to /some/path/XX/network/admin/tnsnames.ora, where XX is a list of directories populated in a variable by a module or (preferably) a wildcard expansion that is then evaulated by a filter. However, there doesn't seem to be any way in Cfengine to express this.

Since the number of directories under /some/path is variable, it isn't feasible to write individual stanzas for each directory as a filesystem may be unmounted and moved to another host at any time.  The filesystems are SAN-based, so unlike a NFS server there is no 'central home' where it would be reasonable to hardcode each individual directory into a stanza.

As it happens, each /some/path/XX is a home directory, but they aren't all Oracle installations and so copying it to just 'homes/network/admin/tnsnames.ora' doesn't seem very elegant.

I am looking at several scenarios like this, so the solution can't be Oracle specific (as in 'use Oracle Internet Directory' or 'define TNS_ADMIN to a central directory'), however the Oracle one is the easiest to explain.

I have a feeling that the underlying problem is the same one mentioned at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-cfengine/2005-04/msg00094.html, and that CFE 3 is the only solution aside from a custom shellcommand. However, I thought I would ask anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might approach this?

Thanks,
-Jason Martin