newbie: log rotation, compression and deletion

From: Philippe de Rochambeau
Subject: newbie: log rotation, compression and deletion
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:27:26 +0200

Hello,

I need to rotate, compress and delete old copies of logs written to, by on-going perl scripts.

When cfengine rotates logs, how does it know which applications/scripts created the logs?

Assuming that it somehow figures out the name of the log-writing applications/scripts (via a cfengine configuration file, perhaps), how does it tell them to temporarily stop writing to the logs while cfengine rotates them, compresses them, and deletes the old logs, and to resume writing afterwards?

Do you need to write a HUP signal handler in your log-writing scripts for cfengine to send signals to?

If so, could someone please provide examples of such HUP-signal handlers?

How do you tell cfengine which compression program to use (compress, gzip, etc.)?

I also need to compress and delete Apache logs which are created with cronolog. Cronolog basically creates a new log file each day whose name contains the current date.

How can I tell cfengine to compress and delete those logs without rotating them?

How can I tell it to only compress log files whose names contain dates greater than 7 days ago and less than 15 days ago? For instance,

Should be deleted:

log20050527.log
log20050528.log

Should be gzipped: