Re: newbie install problems - help!

From: Russell Van Tassell
Subject: Re: newbie install problems - help!
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:42:19 -0700

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 01:11:56PM -0400, HAYESE@Nationwide.com wrote:
> I've be trying to install cfengine-2.1.14 on an Sun Solaris8 server, and
> I'm getting configure/make errors as follows:
>
> 1) many errs in config.log ---> concerning "ld: fatal: Symbol referencing
> errors. No output written to conftest"

Which symbol(s)?  Would help to have more context here... do you have
/usr/local/lib included in your library path, along with the Berkeley DB
and SSL lib directories?

> 2) many errs in config.status ---> { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: cannot
> find myself; rerun with an absolute path" >&5
> echo "$as_me: error: cannot find myself; rerun with an absolute path" >&2;}
>     { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: cannot create $as_me.lineno; rerun
> with a POSIX shell" >&5

...sounds like a weird autoconfig error?  On Solaris, particularly
anything past 5.7 or so, it's helpful to make sure your path references
your "homegrown" stuff first (eg. /usr/local) and /usr/bin and possibly
/usr/ucb are almost the very last on the search path.

> Ref - these package installed successfully:
>
>       * Solaris 5.8 Generic_117350-02
>       * Berkeley DB 3.2.9
>       * OpenSSL 0.9.7
>       * Perl 5.8.7

What are you using for a compiler? For make?  The DB version strikes me
as fairly old (and is that with or without SSL).  The OpenSSL version is
also incomplete, as 0.9.7 is somewhere between "a" and "g" if I recall
correctly?  Myself, I've still been reluctant to make the step to Perl
5.8 (and that's the version in /usr/local, right, not the system
supplied one in /usr/bin?  (and verify that your desired version is
caught before the system version, of course -- thanks Sun!  *cough*)

Overall, I think it'd help to have more context on these errors?  I've
managed to compile cfengine 2.1.14 successfully on at least Solaris 7
(yeah yeah, I know) in not 8 and 9, as well.

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell@loosenut.com

"People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and
 have a tremendous impact on history."                  -- VP Dan Quayle