Segmentation Fault in cfagent on RH EL-3.0 updates 3,5

From: Gary Meyer
Subject: Segmentation Fault in cfagent on RH EL-3.0 updates 3,5
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:59:01 -0700

I can't seem to get cfagent (I'm using 2.1.15, the latest) to run successfully on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 update 3, or update 5. It works fine on EL 3.0 with no updates, and I haven't tried the other updates, but I suspect somewhere between no updates and Update 3, something breaks cfagent. It seems to generate a segmentation fault at a different place each time, though if I run with -n, then it'll seg fault at the same place every time. It's always in the middle of a very large section of recursive link creations. Most of the time it seems to seg fault on readlink, symlink, or closedir system calls being called from link.c.

My company uses Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0, and most of the computers are at 3.0 with no updates, but a few of the newly purchased computers have driver issues, and they work fine with either update 3 or 5 ... but now my CFEngine scripts blow up. Has anyone else seen this, or better yet does anyone know how to solve the problem ?
Thanks much.  Gary Meyer
Gary Meyer
Configuration Management Engineer
Process Engineering