Re: Commenting Files Managed via Cfengine

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Commenting Files Managed via Cfengine
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:47:43 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Brian E. Seppanen wrote:

Hi Folks:

I have a large number of files that I'm managing via cfengine and over the two years that I've been using cfengine that number continues to grow. My coworkers are new to cfengine, and are struggling to understand which hosts, which files, etc cfengine is going to operate on. I've been documenting these issues as I confront them, but one idea that I would really like to incorporate is a comment automatically added to each file by cfengine to indicate master repository, path, classes, last update and a warning that cfengine will clean up after them whether they like it or not. Has anyone undertaken anything similar. Cfengine is an awesome piece of software that has made my life easier, but I now have more problems just trying to document how it works, organize date so that others can better understand, and explaining. I must confess that I often get lost in all of the mazes as well, so such efforts wouldn't be wasted on myself even if I understand cfengine fairly well.

Any other suggestions on how to take the already high level cfengine syntax and document it at an even higher level...

The cfengine-masterconf stuff has embedded documentation stuff (like Perl POD), and it would be easy to add the stuff you mention to it, I think.

http://arpmats.sourceforge.net/cfengine-masterconf/

        :)

--
Kind Regards,

Tim Nelson
Server Administrator

P: 03 9934 0888
F: 03 9934 0899
E: tim.nelson@webalive.biz
W: www.webalive.biz

WebAlive Technologies
Level 1, Innovation Building
Digital Harbour
1010 La Trobe Street
Docklands Melbourne VIC 3008

This email (including all attachments) is intended solely for the named
addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If
you receive it in error, please let us know by reply email, delete it from your
system and destroy any copies. This email is also subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written
consent of the copyright owner.

Emails may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other defects
and may not be successfully replicated on other systems. We give no
warranties in relation to these matters. If you have any doubts about the
authenticity of an email purportedly sent by us, please contact us immediately.