Re: Solaris Zones

From: Mark McCullough
Subject: Re: Solaris Zones
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:37:53 -0500

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 13:04 -0500, Chip Seraphine wrote:
> Anyone else dealing with Solaris zones? Right now I am only running
> cfengine in the global zone.  I'd rather not have multiple cfengine
> instances running in every zone, but I am not sure how else to make sure
> that (e.g.) /etc/* file edits make it to the other zones....

In zones, each non-global zone has the filesystem (and thus /etc/)
mounted somewhere in the path.  Since each zone can have a totally
different basepath for the filesytem, you'd need to inform cfengine of
the location of each file.

Running cfengine in a local zone only invites further problems as you
can't do things that impact hardware.  So a check of your primary
interface may seem odd because you only will have logical interfaces, no
physical interfaces in a local zone.

Hypothetical mode here.  It may be possible to set up an array of
filenames to be edited identically where the filename to be edited or
copied or whatever is based on an array of the different "basepaths".
So for example you have zones zn1, zn2 and the global.

zn1 has a basepath of /zone/zn1
zn2 has a basepath of /zone/zn2
global has a basepath of /

Then you set an array of a basepath to contain each of those three and
then do your work over @basepath (to borrow perl syntax for a moment).

Probably won't work yet, but an interesting feature idea with various
other uses?

--
mmccul@earthlink.net                                   Mark McCullough
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that