Re: gathering reports

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: gathering reports
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:00:25 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Michael Grubb wrote:

I am fairly new to cfengine, I did some searching of the mailing list and wiki and didn't find anything quite like what I'm wanting to do.

I am trying to build a solution, using cfengine as the framework, for auditing host configurations and then based on the results of the audit, bring the host into compliance with the policy. The second part is easy. But I'm a little lost on the first part. I'm not quite sure the best approach to take with reporting, and then taking the data from each system and rolling that into a report. For instance I would like to know what version of script x is running on our hosts, but I don't want to have to look at the output of each host individually I would like to gather the information from each host and roll that into a report. My specific question to you is, what is the best way of getting this information back to the "master" host. At first I thought of having a section that would create a temporary report file that can be written to by all the different checks that have to be done, and then having the "master" host copy this report file from the "run" host and then roll the reports that way, but then the problem is, the master host doesn't necessarily know what the temporary file's name is. Another option that could work, is using syslog to collect the data, but I'd rather stay away from that if I can.

cfengine is designed so that you don't *have* to collect the data back to a central location, because central locations should be as small as possible to allow for scaling.

Having said that, if you dump a report for the entire machine into a file, you can use copy to transfer that back to the central machine; just specify the source and destination the other way around (and get your cfservd to allow uploads for that directory).

        HTH,

--
Kind Regards,

Tim Nelson
Server Administrator

P: 03 9934 0888
F: 03 9934 0899
E: tim.nelson@webalive.biz
W: www.webalive.biz

WebAlive Technologies
Level 1, Innovation Building
Digital Harbour
1010 La Trobe Street
Docklands Melbourne VIC 3008

This email (including all attachments) is intended solely for the named
addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If
you receive it in error, please let us know by reply email, delete it from your
system and destroy any copies. This email is also subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written
consent of the copyright owner.

Emails may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other defects
and may not be successfully replicated on other systems. We give no
warranties in relation to these matters. If you have any doubts about the
authenticity of an email purportedly sent by us, please contact us immediately.