RE: Copy command copies directories I don't want

From: Ed Brown
Subject: RE: Copy command copies directories I don't want
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:39:19 -0600

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 15:15, Mark wrote:

> I though I'd just keep a tree with all the files I need for the various copy
> actions for my different classes and then for each copy
> action, I use an include list with the filenames I need. But I guess it
> doesn't work that way...
> How else am I supposed to do this???

When the includes/excludes/ignores/filters get unmanageable or aren't
working, maybe a simpler approach would suffice.  You aren't talking
about very many files (at least you haven't here), why not just use a
copy statement for each file, grouped by classes: very easy, very clear,
not much work for the very few files you've mentioned so far anyway.
Has the advantage of being able to individually specify destination
modes and ownership.

If you really want to use one copy statement per class, then use
different source directories.  That makes more sense to me
organizationally anyway.

copy:
     $(config_download_dir)/etc_common/ ....
  Special::
     $(config_download_dir)/etc_special/ ....

-Ed