How to organize directories and files for a config file repository?

From: Mark
Subject: How to organize directories and files for a config file repository?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:56:07 -0700

Hi everybody,

last week I had some problems with the copy action copying subdirectories I did
not want... I still havent found a fix.
But here is a different approach - I actually used that one for something else
in parallel and it seems to work so far.

I figured since I can not do a recursive file-repository like this:
etc
  |-openldap
  |-ipsec.d
  |     |-some_other_subdir
  |-and_more_dirs

I could flaten the directory structure and do this instead:

etc-openldap
etc-ipsec.d
etc-ipsec.d-some_other_subdir
etc-and_more_dirs

and then keep the files in that structure...
The only problem I would run into would be length restrictions if the depth of
my directory-structure or the length of the directory
names drive the length of the resulting name beyond whatever the limit is...

I would still have ALL config files any machine (or better class) would ever
need thrown together in the directory it goes into and
then just use includes/ignores to select the ones I need for each class. That
way all the files are in the same place.
If I have two (or more) classes that need different versions of the same file,
I would add a postfix to the name and then rename
them during or after the copy action ( for example ldap.conf.___class1___ and
ldap.conf.___class2___)

Any comments on this idea?

Thanks,

MARK