Re: another mysterious segfault

From: Lars Damerow
Subject: Re: another mysterious segfault
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:01:47 -0700

>From Frank Smith <fsmith@hoovers.com>, Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 07:02:22PM -0500:
> --On Monday, August 29, 2005 16:20:15 -0700 Lars Damerow <lars@pixar.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I have a very naive question--is there any reason aside from speed that
> > cfengine is written in C? The sysadmin in me can't help but think that a
> > scripting language would have better error reporting than
> > "Segmentation fault." ;)
>
> As a former C programmer, in my opinion there is no reason for a well-written
> C program to segfault other than HW failures.  In cfengine's case, I would
> hope that the likely culprit is linking in and calling library functions
> whose actual parameters and return values are different from the way they
> are defined in the header files it was compiled against, usually due to a
> version mismatch between the headers available at compile time and the actual
> libraries linked in at runtime. If this is your problem you might consider
> building cfengine statically for your kickstart install.

I built a static cfagent and kickstarted with it. I got the same segmentation
fault.

cheers,
lars

--
lars damerow
button pusher

I was never cool in school--I'm sure you don't remember me.
And now it's been ten years; I'm still wondering who to be,
and I'd love to mix in circles, cliques and social coterie...